Artist of the Week

There are many talented artists walking through Woodland Park High School’s halls, but this week our artist in the spotlight is Kassidy Kahn, a sophomore with a lot of talent. She has loved art for as long as she can remember, even other forms of it such as makeup, drawing, sculpting, and even the performing arts. “I don’t really have a favorite style [of art], but my favorite medium is acrylic paints”. Kassidy tells me. Art can be a very good way for young people to express themselves, and it helps them truly be who they really are, which is exactly why Kassidy loves creating so much.

Although art and creativity are skills that take years to perfect, you can find yourself and discover so many great things that you never knew. Not only does art accentuate a person’s self love and confidence, but creative outlets can be an essential part of a child’s development. When learning art and doing anything creative, a child can strengthen their motor skills, language development, decision making, visual learning, inventiveness, cultural awareness, and improved academic performance. That’s a lot of things! So, as a society, we need to hold on tightly to art programs, whether they are visual, musical, and performing arts (according to a list compiled by http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/music-arts/the-importance-of-art-in-child-development/). Of course math, science, and english are important to an individual, but arts are just as important. So, even if you aren’t confident in your creative capabilities, go ahead and pick up a paint brush or sit down at the family piano! Your inner Apollo (Greek God of music, arts, and many other things) will thank you!