Featured Artist

Back to Article
Back to Article

Featured Artist

Katie Longnecker, Reporter

Woodland Park High School is chock-full of incredibly talented students, whether it be sports, theatre, academics, and especially art. This week’s featured artist of the week is a sophomore named Ashlynd Cummins, and I had the pleasure of talking with her about her talent.

Ashlynd has been doing art since she was four years old, which explains why the art piece she submitted is so amazingly well done. Here is what she said when I asked her what inspired the very detailed elephant drawing; “I’m really into zentangle [art form] and a lot of people like my zentangle drawings, which made one person request a zentangle drawing of an animal. So, I thought of an animal and an elephant was the first to pop up in my head, and I used that to try something new”. The Zentangle method is where the artist creates patterns, known as tangles, using a unique combination of dots, lines, curves, and even orbs. Zentangle art is known to be very relaxing, hence the word “zen”, and it is very easy to do because of how free flowing it is. This piece was done using a marker, one of Ashlynd’s favorite tools to create art with. Among markers, she also enjoys using colored pencils, pencils, and pens.

There is so much talent at our school, and everyone deserves a chance to shine, so if you would like to be one of WPHS’s featured artist, please feel free to submit your works of art to me (Katie Longnecker) via email ([email protected])