New Coaches to Lead our Panthers

Patrice Schnierle, reporter

Volleyball is a fast paced, competitive sport. The right coach is vital to the team’s success. This year, the Woodland Park High School Volleyball Program has a new varsity coach. She took over for Coach Roshek, who decided to take a hiatus after many years of coaching.  The volleyball program has always been strong, and Christy Cornell brings a new element to the team. Christy Cornell is from Greeley, Colorado and has 2 kids who play volleyball. Before becoming a volleyball coach, she worked in childcare for 25 years. This past year, she worked in a chiropractic office as a receptionist. Now, she is a security officer here at the high school. She played volleyball for one year at Hesston College, located in Hesston, Kansas. She was a middle blocker and a setter. She has 8 years of coaching experience. She also coached the 17’s club team this past season. Many of the junior varsity and varsity girls played club, so they are already comfortable with her. Her main goal for the team is to build for the future. She seems to be adjusting very well and had brought many new ideas to make the season more enjoyable. For example, every home game has a theme, and everyone dresses to fit the theme. So far, we have had parent appreciation night, hawaiian night, and military night. It was really special to celebrate parents and military personnel because of all they do for the athletes and their country. Also, she wants to make a difference in not only volleyball, but in the community as well. The volleyball teams will be reading to the Gateway students as a form of community service. She has a warmup specifically designed to work on skills, and strength for Christy has had a great start with the coaches and players. She says, “The other coaches are very supportive and knowledgeable.” The athletes are very happy with how well Coach Christy is doing. “She’s tough, but she makes us better.” Says Kourtney Cox, an outside hitter on the varsity team. Allie Tring, a new freshman player says, “She’s very welcoming and has made the season enjoyable so far. I’m looking forward to her being my coach when I get to the varsity level.” So far, varsity is 2-2 and are working very hard and playing to the best of their ability. The volleyball program has 10 games left and the team is hoping to win the rest of them.  It is obvious to tell that Coach Christy is very passionate about volleyball, the athletes, and her job as a coach. The volleyball program is very lucky to have such an experienced, driven, hardworking coach in their midst.