• May 4Email us your questions at [email protected]

Woodland Park Basketball Has That Magic Moment

Mac McClintock, Editor

On January 25th, 2013 the Woodland Park boys basketball team was able to defeat Mitchell at home. It was a win that for far too long would live on in infamy. The Panthers after this win would go on to lose 63 straight league games. Many times throughout the streak it seemed like Woodland Park was going to end it, but heart breaking loss after heart breaking loss persisted for more than four years. It seemed at points that Woodland Park simply had forgot how to win. It seemed no matter how well they played nothing would ever go their way. Then Woodland Park finally had their magic moment against Canon City on the road.
Before we dive into that it’s worth remembering what happened earlier this year, the first time Woodland Park played Canon City. Woodland Park fell behind big in the first half then valiantly rallied back in the second half. It seemed like the game was destined for overtime. The team was only down three with 12 seconds left, and Sophomore Skye Ciccarelli was making every three pointer he shot. They got the ball to Skye he took his shot, but it was no good the Tiger’s would win. At the time it was just another heart break that the city of Woodland Park has become far to accustom to.
It was hard to find many reasons the Panther’s would have any better results going on the road to Canon City. Somehow though they got it done. It was a tightly contested game throughout, and for once the Panther’s came out on top. The final score was 56-50.
When asked after the game how it felt to win a league game for the first time, junior Kodi Newsome said, “It feels amazing, to be able to say that, because there has been a losing mentality in years before, we overcame that and pulled out on top tonight!”A losing mentality has plagued Woodland Park sports in general for a long time, but maybe now the Panthers are finally started to turn a corner.
One of the more interesting stories about the losing streak was that, the class of 2017 had never seen the Woodland Park boys team win a league game. When asked about how it felt to finally get his first league win in his senior season Sam Levy said, “I’m honestly at a loss for words. I’ve never been so emotional. This win goes to the entire program. We all worked so hard for nights like tonight and it finally paid off!” It is a testament to the boys basketball team that they continued to preserver and continued to grind through it all. This was that magic moment they had work so hard to achieve. As the saying goes, beter late than never. It will be interesting to see how the boy’s team plays on Valentine’s Day at home on senior night against Elizabeth, but at this moment, this magic moment, the Panthers aren’t losers anymore.