Woodland Park Basketball Week In Review

Mac McClintock, Editor

Woodland Park’s basketball seasons continue to fall into disarray. For a season that started out looking like it had quite a bit of promise, the showing Woodland Park has put together in league play this season is beyond disappointing.
This week for the boy’s team started out at home on Saturday against Widefield, and it did not go well. Woodland Park fell behind early in the first quarter and that continued basically the entire first half. At halftime the score was 45-20 in favor of Widefield. In this game unlike many others Woodland Park was not able to improve at all in the second half. The final score of the game was 84-41. The leading scorer in the game for Woodland Park was sophomore Skye Ciccarelli who scored 15 points while shooting 50 percent from the field.
The next game for the boy’s was on the road at Mesa Ridge and it actually started out fairly well for Woodland Park. In the first quarter the Panthers kept with the Grizzlies 21-22. It was the second quarter that Woodland Park started to slip up. While Mesa Ridge was able to continue to put up high offensive numbers Woodland Park’s offense stalled and went dormant. The score at halftime was 35-44 in favor of Mesa Ridge. The second half would not go Woodland Park’s way at all. The final score was 97-59.
The boy’s team would return home to play against Canon City a team with an overall record of 2-10 entering the game. Many from the outside would think this could be a winnable game for Woodland Park. The Panther’s in this game came out of the gate rather sluggish. They were missing easy layups and leaving guys wide open on the defensive side. They quickly fell behind 25-13. In the second quarter this pattern seemed to continue, but late in the second quarter the team finally started to show some life. The score at halftime was 45-26. One interesting stat was that in the first half sophomore Skye Ciccarelli was held to only 2 points, which is not a winning formula for the Panthers. In the second half the tide of the game finally started to turn in Woodland Park’s favor. The Panthers in the third quarter cut the Canon City lead to only 14. It was in the fourth that this game really got interesting. Sophomore Skye Ciccarelli was the leading force behind the Woodland Park rally. His deep threes got the Panthers close. He was helped though by Canon City’s poor free throw shooting and also by senior Sam Levy’s ability to hit free throws in clutch situations. So with about 25 seconds left in the game Woodland Park had pulled within three and had the ball with a chance to tie the game. Ciccarelli was the one to get the shot. He shot the ball and flailed his arms trying to get a call. He did not make the shot or get the foul call. Woodland Park somehow though would get the ball back with a little more than three seconds left. The Panthers had a hard time in bounding the ball and the best shot they could get off before the buzzer was basically a half court shot taken by Junior Josh Bodin. This last second heave did not go and despite a valiant effort to rally back Woodland Park would once again fail to finish the comeback. The Panthers are now 5-9 and have now lost 55 consecutive league games.
An interesting stat relating to today’s inauguration of new POTUS Donald Trump and to the boy’s basketball team is that during Obama’s second term in office the Woodland Park boy’s team only won one league game and went 1-56 overall in league during that four year span.
The girls team did not have better results than the boys team. Their first game of the week was on the road at WideField. The game was not particularly close and they fell to the Gladiator by a score of 55-40. The next game for them was at home against Mesa Ridge on Thursday. It’s worth noting that Mesa Ridge’ girls team is consistently one of the best teams in the state and this year is no different. The game at halftime was 51-13 for Mesa Ridge. In the second half Mesa Ridge pulled all of their starters and coasted to a 71-31 win over the lady Panthers. Their last game of the week was against Canon City and it was a rather one sided event with Canon City winning 72-38. The girls team is now 5-8.
Overall this is not what any wanted this season to be for the Woodland Park basketball teams. As the season has progressed it’s becoming clearer and clearer that Woodland Park is still quite a ways away from competing within their league.