Woodland Park Basketball Learns Speed Kills

Mac McClintock, Editor

The Woodland Park basketball teams are going down the rabbit hole. After both teams got out to promising starts, it seems they are now struggling within league play. The Woodland Park boy’s team has been looking all season to break an in league losing streak of 49 consecutive league losses. This week the team had three league games, two of which were on the road, and sadly it did not go well for the Panthers. The first game was on the road Saturday at Harrison. Woodland Park was able to grab a one point lead going into the second quarter with the score lying at 16-15. The second quarter however was not as friendly for Woodland Park. The team would fall behind by 5 points going into halftime. The Panther’s would play even with Harrison the rest of the game, but were not able to make up the five point deficit that Harrison put them in the second quarter.
The boys next game was at home against Sierra, and it was not a pretty game. The Panthers were only able to score 4 points in the first half, and to be honest this game seemed to be over before it began. The final was 61-27 Sierra, and this game more than any before it showed what Woodland Park’s biggest disadvantage in league play is. That is, the team does not have the team speed to compete with a team like Sierra. As the saying goes; “speed kills.” Then of course when you add into the equation a shooting percentage of 24%, it’s going to be an ugly game.
The boy’s team’s last game of the week was against The Classical Academy on the road. Once again Woodland Park started out the game playing right with TCA, only being down by two at the end of the first quarter. The second and third quarters were when the wheels started to fall off the wagon for the Panthers once again. The team was outscored in these two quarters combined by a score of 24 points. The lead that TCA built was far too big for the Panthers to make a come back, and they lost their fourth consecutive game by a score of 75-51.
The boys team now has extended their league losing streak to 53 games, with their last league win being way back on January 25th, 2013. The team overall this season is 5-6, but 0-4 in league play, which hurts their playoff chances quite a bit. The team’s next game is scheduled for January 14th at home against Widefield.
On the girl’s side of the equation, things are not going much better. The team started out the week Saturday with the last game of Roughrider Tournament. They played an extremely close game against Roosevelt, but in the end lost by three points, the final score being 53-50.
The girls would return to league play and face Sierra on the road. Sadly, much like the boy’s game, it was not very close. The score at halftime was 42-12 Sierra. The second half was closer, but part of that is because Sierra let up on the gas a little. The final score was 68-33.
The girls then would finish the week with their first home game since December 6th against The Classical Academy. This game got out of hand quickly for the Panthers as they fell behind 7-17 in the first quarter. By halftime, they were down by 20. TCA would then be able to cruise to an easy win against the lady Panthers, with the final score being 62-39.
The girl’s basketball team is now 5-5 and hoping that they can get back to their winning ways next week. Their first game next week is against Widefield on the road on January 14th.