Woodland Park’s Boys Basketball is Fun Again

Mac McClintock, Editor

Woodland Park’s boys basketball team is fun. Is this team flawless? Not really. Are they winning? Yes they sure are. The Panthers this week were trying to carry over the momentum they had built up from winning last Friday were they put up an astonishing 96 points and looked amazing on the court. They opened up this week against Florence a team that coming in was undefeated (3-0). The Panthers were not planning on letting Florence hang around in this one though. Woodland Park just absolutely dominated them, the first half alone they put up 40 points and held the Huskies to a mere 14. Woodland Park let up in the second half and the final of that game was 75-48. For the most part Woodland Park played great in this game, but they did make a few bad passes and lost control of the ball on dribbles a few times. The crazy thing is, that even when that happened the ball just seemed to always bounce Woodland Parks way, and the reason why that happens is because the Panthers simply were more talented than Florence. So winning this game got Woodland to 3-2 and their first back to back wins since December of 2012.
So the question quickly became, “Can the Panthers keep this up?”. They would have to go out and prove that against Littleton. Littleton when you just looked at their record is not very good, only 1-4, but when you take a deeper look at the games they had played in they had just barely lost most of them. This was a big game, probably the biggest of the year and Woodland Park answered the bell. The Panthers dominated the first quarter scoring 14 points and only surrendering 4. The offense this first quarter was all most entirely driven by sophomore Skye Ciccarelli and junior Josh Bodin. When I asked Josh why sometimes him and Skye are able to take over games he said, “Skye is an amazing player and for him to take over games I feel like he does not think, he just goes out and does it. And for me I just let the game come to me, attack the rim and get shots. When we both go off we open up opportunities for our teammates. We could never do it without our teammates.” While Josh and Skye dominated the first quarter the second quarter was Kodi Newsome’s. He was able to coming in a basically shut down Littleton’s best player and then on the offensive side of the ball he was able to get offensive rebounds on back to back possessions and also get the put back shot on both of those. So going into halftime the Panthers had a comfortable 29-13 lead. The third quarter though was not one of Woodland Park’s best as they slowly let Littleton get back into the game. One of the reasons for this might have been both senior Orion Drummond and senior Connor Elliot both got up to four fouls early had to come out of the game. The good news for the Panthers is that they have amazing depth on their bench. When ask about why this team has so much depth Junior Kodi Newsome said, “We all are willing to do whatever is best for the team. Whether it means playing the whole game or not playing much at all.” Even with Woodland Park’s depth, Littleton did get the game back within one point with only one minute to play, but Josh Bodin made a clutch shot that basically sealed the game for the Panthers. The final was 52-47.
This team is now 4-2 and they are starting to learn how to finish games. Obviously letting Littleton get back into this last game was not great, but they still found a way to win at the end of the day. Currently the team has won three home games, the last time a Woodland Park boys basketball team won three home games was the 2012-2013 season and as far as I can go back (2005-2006) no boys basketball team had won three in a row till now. This team still has a long ways to go, but for better or worse they are a lot of fun to watch. The team’s next game is at home against Prospect Ridge Academy on Tuesday December 20th. If you are not able to make the game, the school does broadcast all home games (boys and girls) live on their twitter feed (@WP_Perspective).