Panther’s fall 27-14 against Canon City

Mac McClintock, Editor

Woodland Park is looking a 2-8 record and a 0-5 league record right in the face after a loss to Canon City at home. Both teams entered the game desperately trying to end their losing streaks. Woodland Park’s was sitting at 4 games while Canon City had loss six straight. Woodland Park started with the ball and gained two first downs, but then on a third and long senior quarterback Christian Cox threw a costly interception. Canon City was able to capitalize on the Panther turnover and quickly drove down the field, capping off the drive with a 17 yard touchdown pass to their senior wide receiver Micheal Green that would put the Tigers up 7-0 after the first quarter.

It was not until mid way through the second quarter that the Woodland Park offense would get anything going. It would start with a Canon City fumble that would set the Panthers up in good field position. After a few short runs Woodland found the end zone on a Christian Cox quarterback keeper. Woodland Park would tie the game at 7 with only a minute left in the half it looked like the game would be tied going into halftime. Canon City had different plans. On the kickoff following the score the Tigers returned the kick to the Panther 20 yard line. Even after that it looked like the defense would hold Canon City to a field goal, but on a third and ten the Tigers would find a way to get the ball into the end zone. They would miss the point after touchdown and go up 13-7 at half.

It seemed that after the big kick return at the end of the second quarter this game was all Canon City. Half way through the third quarter the Tigers found the end zone again this time via a run by their senior quarterback Zac Hanenberg. Making the score 20-7. This seemed to be the killer blow for the Panthers. It appeared like it would be an impossible task for the Woodland Park offense to be able to come back from a two score deficit.

The forth quarter was not much better for the Panthers. The Canon City offense was able to once again score. This one came from a beautiful catch and run by senior wide receiver Aaron McCoy. The ball was only thrown about 5 yards in the air, but after McCoy had the ball in his hands he put the Panther defense on skates. Then his impressive break away speed left the Panthers in the dust as he score on 47 yard touchdown “pass”. Towards the end of the game Woodland Park was able to put together a nice drive against Canon City’s prevent defense and capped of that drive with a 1 yard touchdown run by junior fullback Josh Simpson. That would bring the score to 27-14 and that also would be the final.

Woodland Park now has lost 5 in a row and next week it does not get any easier when they have to take on a 8-1 Lewis Palmer team who just beat Falcon 38-8. That game is another home game and also the last game of the year for the Panthers. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 o’clock on November, the 4th.

The only other sport that was still going on this week was Volleyball who went on the road to play their last game at Mesa Ridge. The team was not able to win and lost 1-3. That brought their overall record to 11-12. The fall season now only has one game left and for the most part the high school sports teams have left something to be desired. No team other than the golf team will make any sort of playoff, which is quite the drop off from last year. Hopefully the Panthers can figure it out next year.