Woodland Park suffers 32-8 loss at Falcon

Mac McClintoock, Editor

Woodland Park went on the road to Falcon and did not have any success to speak of. The game started out fairly okay for Woodland Park. The team was forced to punt at the beginning of the game, but the Falcons muffed the punt. So the Panthers got the ball at the 8 yard line. The offense stalled and they were not able to score with their four plays. The defense for the Panthers played pretty good in the first quarter allowing no points. The score after the first quarter was 0-0.

Falcon started with the ball in the second quarter and started driving down the field against Woodland Park. Falcon got down to the 33 yard line then their quarterback completed a beautiful touchdown pass in between two Panther defenders. The Falcon’s elected to go for two but did not get it. 6-0 Falcon. Woodland Park quickly responded as senior Quarterback Christian Cox had an explosive run that set the Panthers up for a short touchdown run by junior running back Roskam. The Panther’s then decided to go for two and got it. This would be the only time Woodland Park would lead all day. That would bring the score to 8-6. This also would be the last time this game would be competitive. The next Falcon drive, on their first play their quarterback popped a 66 yard touchdown run. They went for two and got it that would bring the score to 14-8. On the kickoff after the touchdown Woodland Park muffed the kick and gave it back to Falcon. The Falcons took advantage of Woodland Parks mistake and scored another touchdown on a 1 yard run on fourth and goal. The score heading into halftime was 20-8 Falcon.

The Falcons got the ball first in the second half and quickly drove down the field adding six more points. The first Woodland Park drive went the completely opposite way. The Panthers fumbled and gave the ball right back to the Falcons. The Falcons did not waste any time after the turnover, in fact they actually scored on the first play after the Woodland Park fumble. This Falcon score would make it 32-8 which would be the final score. The rest of the game was rather pedestrian. Woodland Park forced a turnover mid way through the fourth quarter which helped keep the game a lot closer than it really was. The Panther offense was no where to be found in the second half. Obviously giving up 32 points is not exactly good, but you’ll hardly ever win when you only score 8 points.

Next week the Panthers will try and break their four game losing streak at home against Canon City. Canon City will be coming off a tight loss against Discovery Canyon were they lead most of the game, but ended up giving up the game at the very end. The final was 35-34 Discovery Canyon. Canon City will be a tough team for the Panthers to handle especially with how high powered the Tiger’s offense is. That game is scheduled to start at 7 on Friday October 28th.

As far as the rest of the High School sports teams, the lady Panthers had their senior night game this past Thursday. They won the game 3-0, that brought their overall record to 11-11. It’s unlikely the volleyball team will be able to qualify for the playoffs. With football only having two games left the fall sports season is started to wind down this season has definitely given almost all the fall sports teams some areas they can improve on.