Lady Panther’s Dominating the Volleyball Court

Kayla Woods, Writer

Starting this season, head volleyball coach Stacy Roshek and her varsity team headed down to Pueblo East to defeat, and guarantee their spot at playoffs. After dominating the first match in a 14-25 win, the team fell shortly after to a hard loss. Battling it out, back and forth, through four games.  Unfortunately the Panthers lost, ending their undefeated streak. As senior captain Sarah Orth stated, “The team just wants to take the season game by game. Regionals is the team’s goal, but we want to focus on winning each individual game first.” Sarah also claimed, “After a tough loss at Pueblo East, our record is still strong at 3-1.”

Other young sophomore captain Kourtney Cox said, “The volleyball league this year is 4A.” Kourtney also said, “The team’s overall goal for the season is to work on the little things because we are such a young team. If we progress on the little things, we will be a dominate team.”

Kourtney Cox had gotten twenty – one kills the first game against Buena Vista, leading the Varsity team to dominate that game.

The volleyball team needs as many players for next years tryouts as they can, since more than half of the varsity team last year had been seniors and graduated, leaving open spots for many girls with varsity potential.  

Obviously this team is very young, but also had a lot of strengths. After a tough loss down in Pueblo East, the Lady Panthers are pushing towards what would be a huge win to against the number eight team in the state. The girls play Pueblo West on September 15th at 6:00 PM. The team hopes to extend their record to 4-1. This team first needs to focus on the basics of volleyball because they definitely have the ability and potential to do big things this season. The key is to take it day by day, and focus on the little things.