Powder Puff

Powder+Puff

Angelo Salazar, Reporter

Powder Puff is an event where our junior and senior ladies at Woodland Park High School play a flag football game. It is a great way to start off the 2015 homecoming week at WPHS. Juniors and Seniors were hyped for this day. Others who came to watch could not stay in their seats out of excitement. The juniors kicked off and the senior offense came on to the field with adrenalin. Within the first three plays from scrimmage the Juniors intercepted the ball for a touchdown. The Junior sideline went nuts as they were up seven to zero. As the game went on the Seniors kept fighting back. The Juniors were making it look easy as they got up an early lead of fourteen to seven. Head for the Seniors and a Senior himself, Joey Ereon, began to worry as his team was down points. Joey stayed positive, and kept trying to push his team to a victory. Head coach for the Juniors Christian Cox, who is a Junior football player, was calling plays that had his offense rolling. At halftime, the two coaches were helping their team keep their head in the game and play all the way through. As the second half began, the Senior’s defense brought the Juniors to a halt. The Seniors tied the game up fourteen to fourteen. The Juniors could not get their offense or defense together, and the Seniors made the tides turn as they went up twenty-one to fourteen. When the clock hit triple zero, it was the Seniors that had taken the victory with a final score of fourteen to twenty-one. I spoke with Senior Bailey Jones, who was a must-have linebacker for their defense. I asked Jones what big plays she made throughout the game, and her response was, “I did not do a whole lot of big plays throughout the game, but when the game was close towards the end, I started making sure the Juniors weren’t going to score.” I also asked Bailey what she thought about powder puff this year and she said, “It was a lot of fun to have the Senior girls go enjoy their last year here and have the Senior guys be our coaches. It just was a good time over all.” I interviewed Junior Ruth Wooley, who played center for the junior squad. I asked Wooley for her favorite part about playing powder puff and she said, “Just being able to play with other people on my grade I usually do not get to hangout or interact with.” I also asked her if she made any big plays, and her response was, “Not really any big plays but I still enjoyed playing.” I asked Wooley how the coaches were, and she said, “They were too nice. I feel they could have been a little harder on us and then I bet we would have won.” Ruth plans to play next year and make the best out of her Senior year at WPHS. Powder Puff is a great way to start our homecoming week each year. It is fun, and exciting to go to. It gets people on their feet and cheering for our Lady panthers.

WPHS Football Team cheers on our lady panthers.