Softball Team Trying to Turn the Corner

Kelly Marolf; photo credit Cody Grace

Mac McClintock, Reporter

The Woodland Park softball team has started their season off with a 4-5 record which leaves something to be desired, but the silver lining of this record is that they are 1-0 inside of the Colorado Springs Metro League.  Even with a 3-5 record outside of the league Woodland Park is still clear favorites to win their rather lackluster league. The run differential, which is the amount of runs they have scored subtracted by the runs they have given up, that the team currently holds (+12) proves that they have played a lot better than their record suggests.  One glaring hole in this team though is the 5.71 team earn run average. A decent earn run average would be much closer to 4. While the high powered Woodland Park offense will be able to salvage quite a few victories against lower tier teams with the mediocre pitching they will not be able to beat many playoff teams without a solid ace pitcher. The question going forward is if pitcher Kelly Marolf can continue to be as dominant against more solid teams as she has been against Kennedy and The Classical Academy.

Woodland Park’s strength as a team has to be its dynamic and powerful offense.  The team has already produced 26 extra base hits in just 9 games. The force behind this surge of offense has to be sophomore phenom Celeste Cervantes. She currently is tied for the team lead in extra base hits with 6, and has been able to produce a batting average over .500. Even with the large amount of extra base hits Woodland Park has been able to avoid the high number of strike outs that usually comes with being a power hitting team. Another impressive stat is the fact that Woodland Park has found a way to walk more times than they have struck out, which will be a key for them all year if they want to get to the playoffs for a third straight year and make some noise in the playoffs.

This Woodland Park softball team is extremely solid and will give almost any other team trouble moving forward. If this team continues to produce offensively and can also find another solid pitcher to complement Marolf, this team has the ability to go deep into the playoffs and possibly make a run at a state championship. This, of course, is a very lofty goal to set for this team, but it is also the obvious progression that they need to make as they continue to move the program forward.