Why Gossip is Cancerous

Aramis Adcock, Reporter

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines gossip as “a rumor or report of intimate nature.” Gossip is deeply personal, and thus should be kept to a minimum. But it is not usually kept to a minimum. Gossip tends to spread like wildfire, and just like wildfire, it will completely obliterate the lives of those affected by it in a roaring inferno. So why is it that we gossip? Why do we malign others with our tongues in such a way? The answer is, ironically, that we do it to feel more accepted. We figure that by putting others down, it will help us look better by comparison. It doesn’t make any of us look better. It makes us look worse. I hope to explain why in this article. Before I go on, I just want to clarify that this article is not directed at a specific individual or clique at this school. Rather it is directed at the inner meanies that exist inside all of us. I know for a fact that we are all guilty of this. No one is perfect. No one is completely mature. If you think that gossip is something that died in middle school, you are very wrong my friend. It still very much exists in high school. It may not seem as childish as it did back then, it may masquerade around in the guise of normal conversation, but it is still very much there. By talking about other people as if they had less value than us, we are breaking one of the golden rules: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. When we don’t do that, we become worse people. Then things will become worse for us. Not by karma, or anything mystical like that, but by our shrunken capacity for kindness. Every time we gossip, we fall further away from the ability to be kind. For people to like you, you have to be nice to them. When you lose your ability to do so, people won’t like you. Folks will tend to want to avoid you. The more you gossip, the more you start to lose friends. Pretty soon, the only people who will talk to you are other gossipers. And you’ll hate that. Those people are intolerable. You just want people to treat you with kindness, but there will be none to be found. You will feel empty inside, your life devoid of any joy that it once had. That’s when the cancer of gossip will complete its cycle. The tragic thing is, this will be irreversible. You can ask for forgiveness but will be surprised by how few people will be willing to give it. No one may want to at all. You will complete the rest of your high school days feeling unloved, surrounded only by hate and contempt. So please, for everyone’s sake, don’t spread gossip. Be kind and civil to your classmates. Things will be so much better for you and everyone around you if you are.