Summer is Near

Libby Evans, Reporter

Summer time is Near! If you have nothing to do this Summer here’s a few things to keep you occupied. First, you could go hiking here are 5 of the best hiking trails. Red Rock Canyon Located off of Highway 24 West, Red Rock Canyon Open Space has many trails for visitors to love. The hiking is pretty easy here, and the sights are spectacular. The next great hiking trail is, Cheyenne Mountain State Park. On the southwest side of town lies Cheyenne Mountain State Park. This natural area is home to roughly 20 miles of trails and also campsites. As hikers make their way up Cheyenne Mountain, the trails get harder and the scenery gets lovelier—the lights of Colorado Springs twinkle in the distance as the plains roll along beyond the city limits. Number three is Bear Creek Canyon, Bear Creek is for the active hiker who needs things to see while they are hitting the trail. At the Jones Park Meadow the trails splits and there are several options to take. Old mining tunnels, waterfalls, bridges—you name it. It’s an adventurer’s paradise. Number 4 will be Rampart Reservoir and Rainbow Gulch About 45 minutes outside of town and up into the mountains lies Rampart Reservoir and Rainbow Gulch. This particular trail is an excellent choice for hikers who like to stay active year round, it can certainly be a workout. Last but not least number 5 Manitou Springs Incline Situated in Manitou Springs, this is not your typical trail. Originally a cable car ran here, bringing visitors up the steep hillside at a 40% grade, but today, only the wooden ties remain. Just shy of one mile,the incline has roughly 2000 steps. The Manitou Springs Incline is the perfect way to test your skill and endurance. Hikers who are still feeling strong at the top can continue on through several other trails waiting to be traversed at the top or take a leisurely stroll down Barr Trail which leads back to the trailhead in the Cog Railway parking lot. If you would like to travel a little farther you could visit Denver Colorado. If you’re looking for some family fun here are some things you could do. Ready for some family fun? Head to Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park for some thrills, see world-class art exhibitions at Denver Art Museum (kids under 18 get in free), feed giraffes at Denver Zoo, let your children create and explore at the Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus, check out other kid-friendly activities, go on an urban adventure, or take an exciting day trip. Denver will host several world-class sporting events this summer. Celebrate the Colorado Rockies 25th baseball season; get your heart pumping for a good cause by running the Colfax Marathon (5/19-5/20); witness some of the world’s toughest athletes at the Rugby League Football International Challenge (6/23) as New Zealand takes on England; be there as Colorado rides with pride at the Rocky Mountain Regional Gay Rodeo (7/6-7/8); see more rugby action at the 51st Annual Denver 7s Rugby Tournament (7/28); and experience the excitement of professional bicycle racing combined with a three-day festival, featuring live music, food and craft beer at the Colorado Classic and Velorama Festival (8/16-8/19).