Comfy Living

Noah Selvin, Reporter

Do you feel comfortable in our school? Not safe, but comfortable. Comfort can help you learn in a sense. Whenever you’re at home watching Youtube, do you ever find yourself watching an educational video? Whether you got to this video on purpose or on accident, are you comfortable? If you’re home, then most likely you are. There is no place where you are more comfortable than your home. It is your own kingdom, and you may do whatever you want. Well, not whatever, but you can do a lot more. Have you ever asked yourself what school would be like if it felt more like home? Not in the sense where you can leave when you want, and just in general do whatever you want. It’s school, but with a more warm feeling. I don’t know if it’s just me, but when I think of school I imagine cold hallways and blinding fluorescent lights. The cold hallways isn’t really due to the fact that we’re in Colorado either. They look cold. Doesn’t that just seem sad? How can you expect developing children to operate when the environment that work in is drab?

In the article “How Comfortable Classrooms Lead to a Better Student Community” they speak of making an elementary school classroom more inviting and comfortable. When the students were asked of what they thought of the class they said that it made them more ambitious to learn. Now, I know I’m using an example from an article about elementary school students, but if making a more comfortable environment worked for them then why shouldn’t it work for high schoolers? Make the kids excited to attend your classroom. They don’t want to be surrounded by cinder blocks reflecting the fluorescent lighting.

How may you go about making your classroom more comfortable? Well, in all honesty, it’s up to you. You could start by putting more lamps in the room and keeping the fluorescent lights off. Try to go with more warm colors when picking light bulbs and/or lampshades. The warmer the environment looks, the more likely the kids are willing to learn and work.

Now, this does not limit you to only warm colors. It’s less about the warmth of the colors and more about the shade. Colors that could possibly work are dark blues, dark greens, dark oranges, ect.. Colors that not work would be lighter colors.

Some other items you could bring into the class to make it more homely are rugs, plants, nic-nacs, and pictures for the wall. Also, ditch the usual desk configurations for something more unique. It will mix things up in the students day. It will make them remember your classroom, and be excited to attend your class.  

I ran around asking students of wildly different background and everyone of them said that they would be more comfortable and willing to learn in a warmer environment. One said that they preferred windows, but that is out of the teachers control.

Now, this article isn’t made to push teachers to change the way they like their rooms, but rather to provide insight. Maybe the teacher prefers their room to be bland. Redecorating the room may encourage students to learn, and it may possibly help a lot of students succeed.