The Transition Into Modernized Education

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kyla Wells, Reporter

Throughout millennial’s lifetimes, everything has become computerized. From the “Wallet” app on IPhones to online textbooks and on- the- go ordering technology, the majority of our population hasn’t seen life without a screen. Now, sure some people eliminate these lifestyle choices from their routine, but the average person depends on some sort of gadget to complete everyday tasks. The online realm has spread to school districts in the past few years, integrating IPads and laptops into classrooms. As amazing and into- the- future as this sounds, there are many factors that play into the decision to grant schools with this curriculum.

When contemplating a change such as this one, it’s important to take into consideration everyone’s ability to learn. Teachers must find a way to cater to student’s individual needs whether that be hands-on, visual or audio. Laptops can be a great way to provide one or two of these techniques, but for some students, that’s not enough. About 40 percent of the time, kids prefer to do assignments or notes with pencil and paper, resorting to the “old school way” of doing things. This way, if the student doesn’t have access to the internet or wifi at home, they can complete the work without having to use outside resources. In addition to this, some individuals find it more gratifying to hand in a hard copy instead of taking the chance of their assignment getting lost on the web. Another downfall of laptop access in classrooms is that they can serve as a distraction. We’ve all witnessed phones being used at inappropriate times but more technology just means more opportunity for off-task students.

So far we’ve seen the negative aspects of modern technology being brought into education, but there are reasons why schools have seen an increase in grants for these instruments. Laptops and IPads create a portal to endless research for projects and daily work. Programs such as Google Slides and Prezi are at the tip of students’ fingertips, allowing them to display creativity and understanding. Other sites like Google Classroom and Infinite Campus become more user-friendly for individuals without a cell phone; that would otherwise cause a barrier. In addition to this, teachers won’t have to fret about booking library time or running to a computer lab during the period.

The World sees new advances every day, so sometimes situations as minuscule as these can be overlooked. There’s such a stigma around change, while some people can accept it, others have a hard time imagining the bigger picture. If school districts slowly incorporate these technologies and wean students into the curriculum, kids will have time to adapt to their own way of learning instead of feeling cast aside. Also when crossing this threshold of change, teachers should consider making laptops or IPads optional to students. This way, the pupils can take their education into their own hands and decide which path will be more time efficient and beneficial. As technology continues to advance, keep in mind the wise words of Christian Lang that apply to work, school, and social settings; “Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master”.