December 1st Festivities

Back to Article
Back to Article

December 1st Festivities

Kyla Wells, Reporter

Following tradition, Breakfast with Santa fell on the first Saturday of December 2018. This first day of December started with joyous families flooding the doors of the cultural center, waiting to enjoy breakfast and pictures with the famous Santa. Also available for the taking, was face painting, which was a big hit with the kids. Breakfast, sausage and pancakes, which was accompanied by Starbucks, fueled parents’ mornings: needed for the long picture line ahead of them. Not only did families get the pleasure of meeting Mr. Claus, but Mrs. Claus as well, who graciously handed out scrumptious cookies.

The free event, hosted by the Ute Pass- Woodland Park Kiwanis Club, took place from 8am- 11:00 am. Speaking with Nick Nikamp, an officer in Key Club, “all the branches of Key Club were here [Breakfast with Santa], K- Kids, Builders Club… it reaches past high school because the Kiwanis are basically the adult Key Club.” The involvement in planning this occasion is very encouraging because it unites the entire town, from children to adults and schools to businesses. Pleasantly for the community, the event was free, made possible by groups all around town. Sponsors, or benefactors donated food, supplies and time to complete the annual celebration.

The activities for the day didn’t stop there; later in the evening, the yearly Christmas parade marched through town to spread holiday cheer. The theme this year was “Christmas in the Stars”, which was followed to a T. Again, the parade floats were very inclusive and showed an undivided community. Santa made another appearance, along with the many Christmas mascots including Christmasaurus Rex. To name a few of the parade floats: Pikes Peak Regional Hospital, Charis Bible College, Panther Youth Athletics, as well as the Woodland Park High School Band. The 30th anniversary of the “Lighter Side of Christmas” parade started at 6:00 and continued until 7:00, including a marvelous firework display in the heart of Woodland Park.

Immediately following the parade was the tree lighting at the Cultural Center. Found here were participants of the crazy hat contest, inspired by Mike Williams, Summit Singers, and Symphony Above the Cloud musicians. The crazy hat contest gifts prizes to the top 4 winners, going down in value following the place. First place prize this year was a $100 gift certificate from Williams Furniture, preceding a $75 gift certificate for 2nd place. Going hand in hand with the entertainment, was free hot chocolate and cookies. Because of these things, the tree lighting had a big turn out and will continue next year.

Overall, the big day of December 1st was a huge success. Comparing to past years, we saw the community unite and work together to provide joy and holiday cheer. Although these festivities have come and past, there are many things to look forward to in December 2018, so make sure to stay posted and keep your eyes peeled.