Jump Start For the Future

Jump Start For the Future

Katie Longnecker, Reporter

Our school has a lot of amazing opportunities for students to prepare for their future. Some of those opportunities include ProStart, Concurrent Enrollment, and AVP, which might be the best program for students who are serious about their future careers. AVP stands for “Advanced Vocational Program”, and it is offered to WPHS by Pikes Peak Community College. This exclusive program allows students to travel to PPCC during their school day to participate in one-of-a-kind college classes, which prepares them for their future in whatever field they choose. The courses offered in this program range from mechanics all the way to zoology! Students who participate in AVP earn high school credits as well as college credits, which will be documented. This is so that if a student chooses to continue on to college for the same trade they studied during this program, they have a head start toward their degree. AVP students travel to PPCC in the Springs during most of their school day, and return for two required core classes. This way, students can prepare and get a feel for what college is really like when they are older!

Aside from preparing for the college experience itself, participants in AVP could potentially have an advantage in their field of study. Rather than waiting until their full college experience begins, students have one to two years to learn about their trade, so once they choose to continue to study it, they already have the basic knowledge for the class. I sat down with one of our school’s AVP students, Mikayla Cavanaugh, and I asked her if she personally feels as if she has an advantage. “I do think that it definitely is more beneficial to have prior knowledge before you go into something bigger. It definitely backs you up and it sort of shows that you put in time and thought. You’re really prepared to do anything necessary to do something that you are passionate about”. Mikayla is a junior this year who is studying medicine through the program. She explained to me what an average day looks like for an AVP student. “We come to school, we have to at least be here by 7:45 when classes [at the high school] usually start. Our bus picks us up at 8:00- it takes forty-five minutes to get down to PPCC. Then, our classes usually start around 9:00 and we go from 9:00 to 11:40 to be here at least by 12:50. It’s good, we do a lot during those times”. If you are thinking about possibly putting in an application for AVP, Mikayla offers some advice and encouraging words; “I would say go for it! I know that, in particular, it’s very competitive, but if you are driven and you put time and effort into doing [what] makes you happy- it’s really [going to] pay off.”

Chances are, we all know at least one person who has changed, or even thought about changing their major. With the Advanced Vocational Program, you have a chance to see what you truly like to study before you fully commit to paying thousands of dollars for that certain education. For example, if a person studies auto mechanics through AVP, but decides later on that they aren’t interested in that certain field, they don’t have to go through the time and stress of switching majors and can choose something else they like by the time they actually go to college. This is only one of the few incredible advantages this program has to offer, so if you are interested in getting a head start for your future, the Advanced Vocational Program may just be the opportunity you’re searching for. So go for it!