The Best of Those 30 Minutes

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Best of Those 30 Minutes

Cody Sawyer

Lunch at Woodland Park High School is undoubtedly changing. Students have to pull out their ID to go off campus with staff guarding every exit for heightened security. Typically, finding a table during 2nd lunch is nearly impossible while 1st lunch is filled with Seniors. One thing has not changed though, and that is the fact lunch is still a miserable 30 minutes. Once dismissed for lunch students pile into the hallways, many of them running to get that first bite. The students who go off campus for lunch encounter another problem. How does one drive, order, eat and make it to class on time, within 30 minutes? It’s practically impossible but yet many of us somehow do it every day.

Obviously, we know that the length of lunch is not planned to change anytime soon. Therefore here is a list of things you can do to make the best of those 30 minutes.

• Know Your Options

Woodland Park is best known for its Ethnic Restaurants and Fast Food. When it typically comes to school lunch, usually fast food is the best option for time. There is Taco Bell, Mcdonald’s, Sonic, Subway, Jimmy Johns and so on. Diving deeper, you can pick up full delicious meals at the local delis in our local grocery stores. All these restaurants are less than 6 minutes away driving.

• Decide Ahead Of Time

We have all been there, four or more friends packed into a car all indecisive on where to grab food. Rather than driving in circles, decide where you want to eat ahead of time. Even better, know what you are going to order. Solely knowing so will easily save everyone 5 precious minutes. One thing to keep in mind is that some restaurants don’t accept separate orders (via drive through). For example, Mcdonalds, Wendys, and Taco Bell only accepts two separate orders in drive through, so hope everyone brought cash.

• Know What’s Quick

This is probably the most critical part of achieving the most out of those 30 minutes. Know what’s quick. One painless way to find out is simply a Google Search. Google will display how busy a restaurant is during certain hours with just a search. Places like Taco Bell, Mcdonald’s, Wendy’s, Jimmy Johns, and Arby’s almost always get food out on time. Chances are if you decide to go with a group of people to our local Sonic you are going to be walking into class late. How about those grocery store delis? Well, those are usually the quickest option, but not always the cheapest.

• Take advantage of Mobile Ordering

Most fast food chains offer mobile ordering these days. Simply installing an app can gain you up to 10 minutes during lunch. Places like Mcdonald’s, Taco Bell, Jimmy John’s, and even Subway have mobile ordering. With these apps, you can throw in your credit or debit card and order your food even before leaving class. This will allow you to skip any line, providing you plenty of time to enjoy your food.