• May 4Email us your questions at [email protected]

A Fake News Article By A Fake News Writer

Tanner Hardcastle, writer

“It is the emergence of mass media which makes possible the use of propaganda techniques on a societal scale.” -French philosopher Jacques Ellul. The term “fake news” has been thrown around quite a lot recently, and is an important topic that should be discussed. Fake

news is a quickly growing problem and is underestimated by many. Misinformation in the media leads to a misinformed populace, which is terrifying to say the least. Fake news and fake news websites are very influential with the general populace, even though they are false. The Denver Guardian, a fake news website, published a fake article on Hillary Clinton just days prior to the 2016 presidential election. The fake article was shared on Facebook over half a million times, and despite being completely untrue, a plethora of people still believed the story and passed this off to their friends and family as truth.  Another fake article that was shared a ridiculous amount of times was the publication by the American News leading people to believe that Denzel Washington supported Donald Trump. This is blatant propaganda and disinformation, these kind of headlines misinform people and lead them down a path of ignorance. A quote that still rings true today from Malcolm X states “The media’s the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”.

Having a media that informs the masses isn’t inherently bad, but when news outlets lie and propagate misinformation to push their own agendas on a grand scale, it becomes unacceptable. I believe that it is now up to the masses to inform themselves, and to speak out against propaganda and general deceit. Education is paramount for success and as Nelson Mandela once said “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” In today’s age of disinformation, it is up to us, the people, to educate ourselves and to pursue information. There are many sources on the internet to conduct research to determine whether or not a news article or news website is fake, such as, forum based websites with an active community, like Reddit or Quora, or from websites that actively point out fake news, like fakenewswatch.com.

Just remember, that when surfing the internet, to research all of the valuable and/or controversial information you may see  to never intentionally spread disinformation. The internet is a massive collection of information and knowledge, all of it available to you at the click of a button, this should be taken advantage of by the general populace to educate themselves as well as to ward off ignorance and bigotry. Media outlets are very powerful and every one of these outlets has an agenda, the media will spin stories in their bias, but you have to know where to draw the line. Where does bias end, and where does disinformation begin?

http://fakenewswatch.com/

http://beebom.com/reddit-alternatives/

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/media.html