• May 4Email us your questions at [email protected]

Obesity In America

Kathryn Wilcox, Reporter

In the U.S, common fast food joints line roads and appear at nearly every corner for busy people to stop and eat at. However, considering they are fast food places, they’re not really the best places to stop and eat at. Fast food places always make their products look appealing on commercials and bill boards to the public eye, and with the lower and lower prices that many people find reasonable, one in four people eat fast food every single day.

Of course, even though fast food is a major factor in adding to America’s current obesity rate, so are common foods that targets younger kids – cafeteria food. American schools are broadening their selection for food choices during lunch time, however, most of it can be considered unhealthy or unbeneficial to the students on an everyday basis. Making healthier choices in choosing what to eat is the student’s choice though, so not all the blame can be on the school’s cafeteria, yet broadening the selection of healthy food for the students to eat can give them encouragement in making better eating choices.

Eating healthy on a budget is also a common problem americans face during the process of choosing of what they should eat. Since healthy food is very beneficial towards the body, and is naturally grown and made, prices are often higher for the vegetables and proteins your body needs. Since the junk food is processed, and not as helpful in a good diet, the prices are lower, which immediately attracts more people to the affordable price.

In a test that occurred during 2014 in the ages of 12 – 19 year olds, the obesity rate is slowly increasing throughout the years, with the rates tripling from earlier times.In high school students, the rates exceed beyond fifteen percent, and no school has lower then a ten percent rating of obesity. If we’re doing it by gender, there’s a 15.5 percentage rate of obesity of females among high schools, and a 14.3 rate for males.

If we make a few changes to our diets, and drop the regular weekends of fast foods, everybody could help in the process of eliminating obesity in America. Making better eating choices in school during lunch time can even make that little bit of a difference, and exercising for a healthy sixty minutes a day can make a huge change. When finding lower prices on healthy food, look for a local grocery store, sadly fairly uncommon, that can offer affordable prices. Or go towards commercial online food business that offer healthy food prices at low costs, such as Blue Apron, who gives out meals for less than ten dollars. Little differences in food habits can make a difference in the rates of obesity and can create a healthy, long lasting lifestyle for those who are aiming for better eating and healthier way of living.

Sources

http://stateofobesity.org/obesity-rates-trends-overview/