Parking Lot; Honest Business or Something Different?

Tyler Damico, Reporter

As teenagers, driving is a new and exciting part of our lives. Who doesn’t remember the time they first drove alone, nothing but a lonely highway and the radio to keep them company?  That being said, I think it is easy to be blinded by the rush of energy that new drivers feel. If there is one thing I have learned in my seasoned career as a journalist, it is that there are always people waiting to take advantage of you. I recently was asked to investigate the price students pay for parking and what the thirty dollars per year went to and why parking is this price. After hitting up a couple of reliable sources, I discovered the things that our hard earned money goes to.

After intense and arduous interrogation, I got the answers I thirsted for.  The first reasons given to me was paying the police officers tasked with writing tickets. Secondly, I was told the money went to printing tags that verify valid parking. Finally, I was told it went to parking lot maintenance. All these reasons hold validity, though I would argue some are more valid than others. Regardless of how worthy these causes are, I’m not sure that this accounts for all the money brought in by parking. There are many varying theories on where the rest of the money is going to between me and my colleagues.  Some think it is traveling to offshore bank accounts, while others believe it is used in a high school staff fantasy football league. They are of course wildly wrong, but it is always fun to speculate. While I am not sure where the excess money is going, I am fairly sure it’s nothing nefarious. I came into this article ready to blast on how overpriced and unfair the prices were for student parking, yet I have recently stumbled into “enlightenment.”  As it turns out, other high schools in the region can pay upwards of a hundred dollars for parking. A hundred dollars. Comparing that to the measly price of thirty dollars for the whole year, I’m willing to hold my precious complaints about parking.

Really, like most things in life, it boils down to perspective. While you may have it bad, there is always someone out there who has it a lot worse, making it difficult to complain and be taken seriously. I think this can apply to our modern culture of prevalent complaining. People seemingly complain about nearly anything these days. I think we should all apply a bit of perspective to our lives and realize while we might be going through a difficult time, it could always be a lot worse.  We have to learn to be grateful for the time given to us and use that time on more productive things than complaining.