Woodland Park Gives Blood

Woodland Park Gives Blood

Stacey Warren, Reporter

Donating blood is a major decision, and several students at Woodland Park High School will choose this option to help those who are in need. However, not everybody is eligible to donate blood.

Eligibility requirements include being healthy, you must weigh at least 110 pounds, you have to eat two hours prior to donating, you must drink several ounces of water, and you are required to complete a medical screening. This seems like a lot of work, but the reward of knowing you could be saving someone’s life is worth it.

Mysti Reutlinger, mother of 5-year old Simon who received lifesaving blood transfusions, shares her story, “He’s done so much better since receiving that. We can’t be more thankful to the donor who offered a bit of himself.”

Blood is collected in blood bags and taken to Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. The blood drive is an unforgettable opportunity to make a life changing decision for both yourself and whoever you may be saving.

Transfusion receiver and alumni of Woodland Park High School, Shannon Wright, shares, “I personally feel more people have a fear of donating blood than the result of them not wanting to help those in need. I feel if someone put in a similar situation for themselves or a loved one, they wouldn’t skip a beat.”

Reutlinger explains her experience with giving blood, as she has “donated at every opportunity… donating blood isn’t the most comfortable experience in the world, but the time spent in that chair, giving part of yourself to save the lives of others, is worth every bit of discomfort.”

The process of drawing blood is not great, but what would anyone expect? A hollow needle is inserted into a vein and blood is withdrawn for ten minutes. Immediately afterwards, patients are required to attend the refreshment area for ten minutes to drink water and to eat snacks before they leave, ensuring a safe arrival home.

When asked how she would encourage people to give blood, Reutlinger states, “For me, I would share Simon’s story with anyone undecided on donating blood. I’m truly thankful for those who gave and allowed my son to live.”

Wright claims, “It’s a selfless act with very minimal risks. I could and would easily do it again.”

Originally scheduled for Wednesday, February 5, the National Honor Society blood drive has been rescheduled but is yet to be determined. An announcement will be made when a new date is decided.