The Smile at the Door

The Smile at the Door

Patrice Schnierle, Reporter

We all know that school can be hard and finding motivation to show up is even harder. Many people would say that walking into school sets the mood for the day and it can often start as bad or boring. However, at Woodland Park High School, we have found this not to be the case. When a student walks into the clock tower doors, it’s hard to be mad or annoyed when Mrs. Harness is waiting to see you with a smile on her face and joy shining from her eyes. 

Joanna Harness is our receptionist and attendance secretary. She is from Dallas, Texas and went to school at Texas Woman’s University and obtained a degree in English. Joanna went on to become a tech writer in Dallas. When she was ready for a change, she moved to Colorado for the beautiful scenery and to continue her passion for rock climbing. Joanna went on to work at Janska, a fashion company in Colorado Springs as a marketing/communications employee. She designed their website and advertisements to draw people in and encourage them to buy said products. The pace of life she was used to changed when she had kids and she decided to take a break from a 9 to 5 job and instead became a stay at home mom. Joanna would help out at her kids’ schools and soon found joy in that. The more she helped, the more she wanted to continue full time.  She loves her job and all of the kids that she gets to meet and interact with. When asked what her dream job was, she replied, “I did get my dream job, but after I got it, I didn’t love it as much as I thought it would. I realized that what I was doing first (technical writer) was actually what I really wanted to do.” Outside of school, Joanna loves to run and is currently preparing for a 50-mile run, a 100-mile run, and a marathon.

I speak for the school when I say that Joanna is a breath of fresh air and she is the most amazing person to represent our school. For many people including myself, her bright and smiling face in the morning is what gives us hope and strength in this crazy time.