The World of Jobs

The World of Jobs

Patrice Schnierle, Reporter

It’s no secret that once you get to high school, many opportunities open up to you. You receive more freedom and with that, comes the attached responsibilities. One thing that many teens look forward to is getting a job. Having a job allows you to save money for college, gain some extra spending money, and can help with the expenses of being a member of society. In Woodland Park, most businesses are eager to hire new help and it’s relatively easy to become employed. However, how does that change during a pandemic that requires everyone to stay home? With many businesses temporarily closed or even temporarily canceled, it can seem like there are no available jobs. However, once a door closes, another opens, so consider following along closely.  

When the pandemic hit, it was vital that certain businesses stayed open, thus creating the title, “essential/frontline workers”. This includes but is not limited to grocery clerks, gas station attendants, restaurant workers, truck drivers, healthcare workers, police, custodial services, and production workers. As a teenager, certain jobs on this list are not available to us, but there are still many options to choose from. Walmart, City Market, and Safeway are always looking for baggers, courtesy clerks, etc and if you are 18, Natural grocers is also looking for clerks and greeters. Working at a grocery store is a great way to learn people skills, hard work, and community. On the flip side of that is restaurants. Despite most being only open for takeout, curbside delivery, and less capacity, restaurants are vital to nourish people and to keep the economy stimulated. Sonic, Arby’s, and Wendys are among the few that are looking to add to their crew. Many jobs not listed here are hiring as well, so be on the lookout for signs on buildings or ads on the internet or in the newspaper.

After knowing what jobs are available, the next step is applying and getting prepared to be hired. This can seem scary, especially to someone who has never worked before. The important thing is to put yourself out there and the worst thing someone can say is no. In that case, you keep trying until you find a job suitable for you. Putting yourself out there shows passion, maturity, and drive. Businesses will see that and will want you on their team. Although the business world can seem intense, it is also understanding. Most businesses, especially grocery stores and restaurants hire people with no experience because they know you have to start somewhere.