Staff Spotlight: Mrs. Zeller

Jenna Brink, Reporter

Communication may seem like an easy thing that we use everyday. We communicate with our peers and teachers at school, and with our friends and family every day. In an average day women say around 20,000 words, and 7,000 is the average amount of words men say daily. Talk can be for fun, or an essential part of our day. Now think back to the very first day of your freshman year in highschool. What would you do if you couldn’t talk to anyone? Not your friends, teachers, or any staff at all. How would you know where your classes would be? Or know when the bell rings? What lunch you have? Where to go next? Luckily, Mrs. Zeller works hard all day at the front office to lift any worries or questions any student has.

Mrs. Zeller has worked at Woodland Park High School for six years. She went to college, and worked hard to earn her teaching degree. She was aware of her love for the environment that a school had to offer, which drove her passions to teach at a school. However, after a position at the office had opened, she took her chance and interviewed. After getting the job, she was happy to be so involved in the school, and to take a big responsibility leading in the office. And of course, there was the added bonus of being on the same schedule as her kids too.

A lot of people may make the assumption that an office job, like Mrs. Zeller’s, is a day full of sitting, and has very little activity or responsibility. This is not only false, but the opposite of what a Mrs. Zeller’s day may look like. Not only is she available to answer any question that students wonder, but also to manage substitute teacher attendance. If you have ever been called out of class, chances are it was Mrs. Zeller who made the call so you were available to leave for an appointment. She also has to take care students feeling under the weather if the nurse is absent. To add to the many things Mrs. Zeller has to juggle throughout the day, she says “If we have a day that isn’t programed into our bells I have to manually ring all the bells and play the music”. This is just a peek into what she has to handle throughout the year.

Out everything she has to do each day, she says her favorite thing about her job is the different interactions she has with the students. When asked what kind of valuable lesson she has learned throughout her years in the office, she admits, “You can always grow, and change, and learn, and be better with how we communicate with students staff and community.” So out of all the talk that happens daily, and when we have to balance so many things, sometimes we forget the simple words: thank you. Thank you Mrs. Zeller for all the problems that you simplify. Thank you for putting in the time to work with the community, the students, and parents. So, out of the 20,000 complicated, confusing words words that I may say today, I want to make things simple, making at least two of those words thank you.