Go Red!

Courtesy of Catharine Becker

Courtesy of Catharine Becker

Jade Duplantis, Reporter

National Wear Red Day was on February 5, 2016.  We go red for making a change for all women. Wearing red shows your support for a force of change. Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 women, yet they are 80% preventable. Heart disease keys out a chain of conditions that affect your heart. “Diseases under the heart disease measure include blood vessel diseases, such as coronary artery disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia); and heart defects you’re born with (congenital heart defects), amid others” (American Heart Association, 2015). A heart attack appears when the blood flow to the brain is cut off by a blood clot. If the clot cuts off the blood fully, the part of the heart muscle supplied by that artery prepares to die. Most people can survive a first heart attack and continues to live their normal life, but experiencing a heart attack means you have to make some changes. The doctor can advise changes of medications and lifestyle. In 2015, Woodland Park High School WELCO had attempted to be the biggest promoter of Go Red while competing with other schools in the district, by selling American Heart Association shirts. Coach Roskam gave the school a speech at an assembly, emphasizing the importance of thanking your mothers for all that they do.  In 2016, WELCO allowed the right to wear a hat for $1. The students and staff made donations as well. This year Woodland Park High School raised $81, and sent in the donation check on February 9th to the AHA Go Red campaign. The statistics from the medicine and health world often bring us bad news. There has been some improvement of situations including sudden cardiac arrests. 326,000 people have experienced a cardiac arrest out of the hospital in the US in 2011. Of those treated by emergency medical services, only 10.6 percent had survived. A cardiac arrest at age seven left Annemarie Ward at a disadvantage for physical activities. She was a college student from Lakeland, Florida and got a heart transplant at age 18. She is now training for her first 5k.

“I was so exhausted doing the smallest things” she said. “Life seemed like it was full of limitations” (Go Red For Women, 2016).

This year,  February 5 marked the 13th year anniversary for National Wear Red Day.  Despite the work progress of wear red day, more action is important. 1 in 3 women still die of heart disease and stroke each year. But the more powerful thing is that millions of mothers, sisters, daughters, and friends are still making a change. Thank you Woodland Park for showing your support this year on Go Red For Women!

“Go Red For Women®.” Go Red For Women®. Web. 08 Feb. 2016.

“Heart Disease.” – Mayo Clinic. Web. 08 Feb. 2016.

“What Is Cardiovascular Disease?” What Is Cardiovascular Disease? Web. 08 Feb. 2016.