Community Art Project

Sophia Rossi, 12th grade

Dan Knapp, Reporter

Our school, Woodland Park, has recently taken on the project of decorating our halls with a multitude of different murals that depict the various programs in our school. From the hallways of the main gym to the music wing, the murals will decorate our school in hopes of raising school spirit in both the community and among the students. Many students in this school have engaged in this project, and thus far there has been much progress thanks to their efforts.

The murals are depicting the different sports that the school has to offer, as well as other clubs and activities. The locations of the murals are related to which part of the school the activities are held. For example, the art murals are located near the art classrooms, while the music murals are near the music rooms. I spoke with Bella Hoffman, a senior, who is currently in charge of the athletic murals above the doors of the main gym. With the help of Sierra Wilson, in grade 12, who created the design for the volleyball mural, and Josi Porter, also a senior, who designed the cheer mural, she was able to set the foundation for what we see today. Although many students have been kind enough to lend a hand to the completion of the murals, the main students working on them as of right now are Wilson and Hunter Sprague, who is in 12th grade. Wilson has been working on finishing the mural for soccer and after that she will move onto the volleyball mural. Likewise, Sprague is working on football and after she has completed it she will move on to the golf mural. As for Hoffman, she has been putting in much of her time into designing most of the other murals and is currently working on some of them, such as the basketball mural. When asked about what impact she hoped that these murals would have on the school, she replied, “The impact I hope these murals have is to give the school more color and spirit. It gives people something to look at other than just a peach wall. I hope it can show different students coming together to create an art piece for the school.”

With the hard work and dedication of our students here at Woodland Park, we will soon be able to walk down the corridors of the school with pride as we look upon the fruits of their labor. As Hoffman had said in the interview I believe that this will add more spirit to our school and make coming to school day after day eased by the sight of these beautiful pieces of artwork.

Bella Hoffman, 12th grade
Bella Hoffman, 12th grade
Megan Roughen, 12th grade
Megan Roughen, 12th grade
Michael Gage, 12th grade
Michael Gage, 12th grade
Sophia Rossi, 12th grade
Sophia Rossi, 12th grade
Sophia Rossi, 12th grade
Sophia Rossi, 12th grade
Kylie Wollaston, 12th grade
Kylie Wollaston, 12th grade
Kylie Wollaston, 12th grade
Kylie Wollaston, 12th grade