All State All-Star

Benji Hobson, Reporter

The Oxford Dictionary defines pride as “a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one’s own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.” The town of Woodland Park is not that big, but its size only results in a tighter community; one can barely step outside for groceries without seeing a familiar, smiling face. This town is a family, one in which Woodland Park High School plays a large role as we represent the bright young minds of tomorrow. We students have promise, and the town of Woodland Park is proud of us. Now they have all the more reason to be proud, because WPHS has, for the umpteenth consecutive time, sent one of our students to the All-State Choir.

The high school choir room has almost an entire wall dedicated to plaques bearing the stamp “Colorado All-State Choir”, and yet Ms. Campbell states that those on display represent only a fraction of the ones WPHS students have earned over the years. As a result, it is anyone’s guess as to how long our school has been sending talented young adults to All-State, but it is safe to estimate that one or two Woodland Park students have been participating in the elite choir each year for at least the last 25 years. That makes for an approximate 50 gifted individuals that have been representing our school since long before the classes of 2015-2019 got here. These numbers are particularly astounding when one considers that roughly 2,700 kids try out for the All-State Choir every year, because it proves those accepted from our school are, quite literally, one in several thousand. And this year, Jonathan Allen was one of those outstanding individuals.

Jonathan Allen, a senior, has been involved in choir for the duration of his High School career and is an fantastic addition to the All-State choir as he is an excellent musician. As talented as he is however, he is the first to admit that getting in is not easy. “You really have to know your music”, he says. “The audition itself is a bunch of different components. The main one is a classical solo, then there is sight-reading rhythmical and melodic, and lots of harmonies and intervals.”

It is a huge honor to be accepted into this prestigious choir, not just for the student, but for the entire school. Jonathan Allen is an incredibly valuable asset to our school, yet when he steps out to perform, he represents a mere percent of all the talented individuals walking the halls of WPHS. By being accepted into this prestigious choir, he has not only honored himself, but his school and his town, and that is what being a Panther is all about.