Education Vacation

Mrs.Ann Cummings poses for a quick picture with some of the eager students who will be attending the Emerald Isle trip. (Top row): Mrs. Ann Cummings, Bryan Cosgriff, Bryce Sluis, and Sean Olson. (Middle Row): Joanna Waddell, Allison Busby, Kyle Cox. (Bottom row): Brooke Sluis, Marissa Hunnel, Alexandra Mae, Haley Porter and Cheryl Woods.

Michelle Narain, Reporter

In the past, Woodland Park High School’s French students were given the once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to another country with their teacher, Mrs. Cummings. They got to spend their time with their friends and fellow students in a foreign country sightseeing and experiencing a different lifestyle. French students have gone to England, France, Germany, Belgium and Canada. This year, however, they are opening the trip up to all WPHS students who would like to go. This year, the trip will be to the incredible country of Ireland.

Mrs. Ann Cummings, the French teacher, is heading the expedition to Ireland and so far has a total of fifteen students who will be traveling with her. The trip will be nine days long and costs each student roughly $3,400. Students will start their adventure in Dublin by visiting Trinity College and admiring St. Patrick’s Cathedral. They will travel to Galway and see the famous River Corrib and explore Connemara, Maam Cross and Spiddal.  Next on their itinerary is to travel from Galway to the town of Killarney, and experience what the country has to offer along the way. They will get to see the Ailwee Cave, the Neolithic Poulnabrone portal tomb, Folk Park, Bunratty Castle, and of course the spectacular Cliffs of Moher. Once they arrive in Killarney they will have the chance to explore the Ring of Kerry, see the majestic peaks of Macgillycuddy’s Reeks and visit Bog Village.  One of their last stops will be the quaint town of Cork where they will have the opportunity to visit Blarney Castle. On their last day of the trip, students will visit the Irish National Stud, a horse farm where they can observe the horses and the beautiful scenery of the countryside .

Mrs. Cummings says students can gain the experience of traveling outside of the country, because many students have never been outside of the States. “Students gain a new perspective and experience what it’s like to be a foreigner and appreciate what it is to be an American” Mrs. Cummings said.  Haley Porter, a junior that will be attending the trip, says she is “excited to visit some of the castles and historical sites”, and she is “hoping to gain a better knowledge about the Irish culture and experience something fun, new and exciting.” To be prepared for the trip Haley is making sure to buy the things that she might need like sunglasses or extra camera memory.

The Emerald Isle is an educational and exciting trip that has much to offer both students and adults. The educational tour gives the small town students of Woodland Park a chance to experience a new culture and learn about a foreign history. This trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity that will never be forgotten by those who experience it.