Festival Disney

Festival Disney

Amanda Miller, Reporter

Every year, junior high and high school bands and choirs from all over the country gather at the Happiest Place on Earth to learn from distinguished collegiate educators from colleges around the country. Festival Disney, a three day event that offers different dates from March to May, is a Disney produced competitive music festival. It is open to concert and marching bands, jazz ensembles, orchestras, vocal ensembles, show choirs and auxiliary units at the high school and middle school level.

For the first year, our own choir is participating in the festival, different members from our multitude of choir programs will be coming together to form a special ‘Disney Choir’ to perform at Disney Land in spring 2014.

During the three day event, our choir will get to journey behind the scenes at Disney Land to work with professional musicians who will then work with the choir to help them become better performers and introduce them to some of the projects they do at Disney, and how they’re done. This includes a soundtrack session, where the mentors teach the choir a piece of music from the soundtrack to a Disney movie and, after some practice, they would record the choir performing the piece and put it on a CD. Finally, the choir will get to perform in one of the park’s state of the art performance halls.

Festival Disney is a part of Disney Youth Programs, a program designed to spark creativity and unlock hidden potential in students. A noncompetitive alternative is also available through the program, called Disney Honors, and it offers performances, clinics, guest speakers, and feedback from a panel of professionals. Both programs are wonderful for young musicians, and WPHS is proud to be sending some of their own this spring.