Kiss Me, Kate

Amanda Miller, Reporter

Kiss Me Kate, a play about a play that was first performed back in 1948, was brought to life on stage in the Dickinson Auditorium! The award winning musical about a theater that is putting on a production of Shakespeare’s classic The Taming of the Shrew and everything that goes on behind the scenes in the cast and crew’s lives, is packed full of drama.

An egotistical Fred Graham, the star, director, and producer of the musical version of The Taming of The Shrew, is reunited with his movie star ex-wife Lilli Vanessi on the stage in the leading roles of Petruchio and Katharine. If that wasn’t enough drama already, he begins chasing after young actress Lois Lane, who is casted as Lilli’s on stage sister Bianca despite his still obvious love for his former wife, and hers for him.

The roles of Fred and Lilli in the WPHS production of the musical were played by Isaac Leigh (Fred) and Anna Yarger (Lilli), along with Mandy Matthews as Lois Lane and Brandon Lau as Bill Calhoun, her significant other. The musical is composed of twelve scenes, split into two acts.

The production is a must see if you were not present for the show the cast performed on Wednesday the day before opening night for a part of the student body. It encompasses classical music styles and themes to go along with Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, along with 50’s era musical styles and themes and mixes the two beautifully. The script is humorous and witty, and although it might not be appropriate for all age groups, the older audience is sure to enjoy it from start to finish.  The play opened on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 7 PM and ran until Saturday November 23, 2013.