Homecoming: Past and Present

The Senior Girls Powderpuff team after their win on Monday. Photo by Bayli Jones

Amanda Miller, Reporter

The annual Powderpuff football game kicked off Woodland Park’s Homecoming Week on Monday September 30th when the junior and senior girls battled it out on the football field. In the end, the seniors took the gold. Powderpuff football is one of the many Homecoming traditions we participate in to show our school spirit and gear up for the big football game on Friday.

All week, students from every corner of the school have been participating in many different traditions during spirit week, which has allowed students to show both their school spirit and creativity. Along with the parade and bonfire, which allowed the whole community to get involved, including former WPHS students. Homecoming is, after all, a chance for alumni to ‘come home’.

Homecoming is an American tradition that has been going on for over a century. The University of Missouri is recognized by the NCAA to have been the first school to have a homecoming celebration. It was held in 1911, originally planned for alumni of the college to come home and launch their new playing field in the annual game against the rival Kansas State football team.

Since that first game, homecoming celebrations have spread to every corner of the nation, and even to parts of Canada. It has started new traditions as it circulated around the country, such as Homecoming Court and Spirit Week in high schools, and tailgate parties in universities.

Traditions differ from place to place, and school to school, but here at Woodland Park High School we celebrate with Spirit Week which includes a parade, bonfire, dance and, of course, the big football game. Another custom we have developed at WPHS are spirit rallies at the beginning and end of the week, and the alumni tea Friday night. Since we are a smaller town the whole community gets involved, letting students paint windows of local businesses and cheering on our different sports teams and activities on at the parade. Homecoming week is a week filled with panther pride from everyone. It brings the community and the high school together, and gives former graduates a chance to reflect on old memories and experience that unification again.