Casual Karaoke

Heather Geving, Reporter

The musical arts are a common activity in our school today, from Ladies Select to Madrigals, our young and talented vocalists sang their hearts out on Cabaret Night for music lovers in our community.

Cabaret Night is an annual get together for singers in Ladies Select and Madrigals to serenade a crowd of fellow students, community members or whoever wants a night of cookies, coffee, and wonderful talent.  Any kind of genre of music is allowed as long as it is school appropriate and performers can song solo or in a group.

Altogether, there were eighteen performances of the night, and all were unique representing multiple different artists of yesterday and today. One performer, Claire Williams, sophomore at WPHS, sang “I Enjoy Being a Girl” from the musical, Flower Drum Song. Williams had been preparing for her oncoming performances for about a month and chose the song for her vocal range. William’s voice coach recommended the song selection for her.

“My voice coach told me that it worked very well for my vocal range and it would be good to sing in front of an audience.”  said Williams.

Williams is planning on performing for the next Cabaret Night in the fall, and anticipates singing for the rest of her life.

When asked about her performance, Williams said, “It was scary, but it was a good and fun experience.”

Cabaret Night is the one night where students can show their talent with their own style of music and be themselves. It will be held again in the fall of 2013 with more musical performances and unique talent.